Create the perfect glaze for your roasted chicken with this organic hibiscus tea recipe. The citrusy and fruity flavors of hibiscus and pomegranate will take your chicken dish to another level!
- One whole chicken
- One orange, halved
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- ½ medium onion, halved
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ tsp of salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large pomegranates
- 1 sachet of Two Sisters Tea hibiscus flowers, opened
- 2 mandarins, juiced
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 ½ tbsp brown sugar
- ¾ cup of water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Stuff the chicken with the orange, garlic, fresh thyme, and onion.
- Drizzle the olive oil on the pan to prevent sticking. Place the chicken and add the salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken into the oven on the center rack. It will take anywhere from an hour to 75 minutes to cook fully.
- In a saucepan add the water, the seeds from the pomegranates, mandarin juice, brown sugar, honey, salt and Two Sisters Tea dried hibiscus flowers.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer and reduce by 2/3. 20-30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and baste with the glaze. Put it back in the oven for 5-7 mins then baste it again. Do this 3 times in total. Let rest for about 10 mins before slicing and serving.
(Recipe adapted from SideChef)