Try these delicious and easy-to-make organic hibiscus tea muffins.
Made with organic hibiscus tea leaves, they are a delightful treat for any time of the day!
- 2 Two Sisters Tea (original flavor) tea bags, opened.
- 1 cup of water
- ½ cup softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- Zest and juice from one lemon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Juice from ½ lemon
For the muffins:
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Bring 1 cup water to a boil. Remove from heat, add the honey and dried Two Sisters Tea hibiscus flowers. Let steep 15 minutes.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Then add the eggs, one at a time, beating until well combined. Add in the vanilla.
- Whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Add the lemon juice and zest to the milk. Add the flour and milk mixtures into the butter and sugar mixture alternating between the two.
- Mix in the soaked hibiscus flowers, leaving any remaining water.
- Line a 12 cup standard muffin tin with cupcake liners, and fill with batter. Bake at 375 degrees for about 30-35 minutes.
For the glaze: Mix the powdered sugar with honey and lemon juice until there are no lumps. Lightly (or heavily) drizzle the glaze over the cooled muffins and serve.
(Recipe adapted from The G&M Kitchen)